1/5/11

Observations

Writing a book is really an adventure. In 1998 McGraw-Hill, after reviewing the content of my web site, asked me to write a book on financial cycles.

From 46 thousand words of the original draft, my assistant and I succeeded in bringing the total count to 115 thousand words. This was required in the contract I signed.

In mid 1999, after many re-writings of the various chapters, we sent the manuscript to the editor who originally contracted the book. Lately I found out she is the "acquisition editor" and she is considered the "sponsor" of the book.

She edited the first draft and made suggestions on how to re-structure some of the chapters. We were pleasantly surprised when she returned the edited manuscript because we felt there were not many corrections.

Recently I received a letter from McGraw-Hill informing me that they had a scheduling meeting on my project and that they are well into production. From this point on, the "editing supervisor" will be responsible for all production stages from manuscript to bound book. Its title will be "Profiting in Bull or Bear Markets". They selected the title. I had no saying about it.

Right now the manuscript is with the "copy editor" who is dissecting it. In the next few weeks I will continue to receive the edited chapters. I have to review them, making sure the meaning has not been changed by the numerous corrections. I will also have to answer the many questions of the copy editor, like: "Are you sure this is what you meant", or "Doesn't this concept contradict what you said on page 55?", and so on. Some pages are marked to the point that I need to re-type them to make sure the content has not been changed.

The manuscript will then go to the "Compositor" and then I will have to review it again.

A really exciting experience, almost an adventure.

(This Observations appeared in the issue of 11/29/2000 of The Peter Dag Portfolio)

George Dagnino, PhD
Editor, The Peter Dag Portfolio. Since 1977
Ranked second best gold timer by Timer Digest

To find out more about my in depth views of the markets and my strategy just visit our website https://www.peterdag.com/ where you can subscribe to The Peter Dag Portfolio. You can also call me at 1-800-833-2782 to discuss your specific investment portfolio.

Disclaimer.The content on this site is provided as general information only and should not be taken as investment advice nor is it a recommendation to buy or sell any financial instrument. Actions you undertake as a consequence of any analysis, opinion or advertisement on this site.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

By the way, that book, IMO, is one of the greatest financial books ever written. Salute!