10/2/11

Observations

Time. A few years ago, the same friend who introduced me to Qigong lent me a tape of a well-known Indian guru. A considerable part of the content was devoted to discussing the concept of time and how we can control it (within realistic bounds, of course).

One of the many examples he made was that time is shorter than average for nervous, impulsive people with a hectic life. They tend to have health problems that limit their life span. People who live a more serene and relaxed life, on the other hand, tend to live longer. They stretch their time allowance.

In a state of meditation time seems to stop. The heart beats more slowly. As we resume our daily chores, events around us seem to have a different rhythm. We seem to have regained strength and feel more relaxed. Time has extended.

The way we perceive time depends also on our age. This leads to misjudging the behavior of older or younger people – depending on which side of the fence you are. Recently I visited my friend Jack. He is 95 now. We went out for lunch. His appetite was excellent, but he gave me the sense he moved in a different time dimension, and he was trying to make me understand the idea.

I told him about my business, successes, and challenges. He kept smiling. He tried to answer, only briefly. He is in a different world, in a different time dimension wallpapered by many experiences and beautiful memories. His pace is slower because his time ticks more slowly. But it is slower for me. Not for him. It shows that the concept of time depends on age.

My grandchildren were playing at my feet. I was watching them, smiling. And I remembered the smile of my friend. Their time dimension is exhausting, so much different from mine.

As we age we tend to feel sorry for “older” people. Perhaps we do not understand they are living in a different time warp. As we age, our concept of time changes and nature makes us adapt to it. The clock seems to be moving slower, slower, and slower. Until it stops.

(This Observations appeared in the 4/8/02 issue of The Peter Dag Portfolio)

George Dagnino, PhD
Editor, The Peter Dag Portfolio. Since 1977
2009 Market Timer of the Year by Timer Digest

To find out more about my in depth views of the markets and my strategy just visit our website https://www.peterdag.com/ where you can subscribe to The Peter Dag Portfolio. You can also call me at 1-800-833-2782 to discuss your specific investment portfolio.

Disclaimer.The content on this site is provided as general information only and should not be taken as investment advice nor is it a recommendation to buy or sell any financial instrument. Actions you undertake as a consequence of any analysis, opinion or advertisement on this site are your sole responsibility.

No comments: