2/16/11

Observations

The education budget. The government is planning to spend more money on education. I do not believe money will improve people’s education.

I love teaching. I like to challenge the minds of young people. I love the sense of accomplishment that comes from knowing that I planted a small seed. I know most of my students will always appreciate what I have done for them. Sometimes in spite of themselves.

I taught at several colleges and universities. The standards of my teaching depended on the policies of the institution and on the feedback of the institution’s administration and of the students. I had to adjust accordingly. But I usually started by stretching the students’ minds. Then I relaxed my standards to meet the requirements.

Every professor knows that money does not dictate his or her level of teaching. For the same amount of money I can have high or low standards in my class. It is the particular market of an institution that dictates my level of teaching. My main job is to mold the minds of the students, to explore with them ways of thinking about the subject being taught.

Why do we continue to throw money at education, falsely believing that technology will solve the problem? Different teaching standards impact the level of thinking. Teaching is not about making statements about absolute truth. What matters is to explore how to logically connect ideas to create new thought processes, to devise new paths of action.

Money is not necessary to achieve these objectives. It takes hard work, high standards, and a commitment on the part of the students and instructor to work together.

There is no alternative to achieving high standards. It takes a lot of work. And sometimes this does not become practical because sports and part-time jobs are a priority that students and parents do not want to change.

Unfortunately it takes time to learn, to practice the mind. As a friend and mentor used to tell me when I was facing a difficulty: George, no one said it was going to be easy. Persistence and determination to learn will improve the education of our students. Not money.

The issues are standards and the willingness of the community to achieve them. We need to convince students and their parents that the achievement of high standards is a personal choice. Government money has nothing to do with it.

(This Observations appeared in the 4-23-2001 issue of The Peter Dag Portfolio)

George Dagnino, PhD
Editor, The Peter Dag Portfolio. Since 1977
Ranked second best gold timer by Timer Digest

To find out more about my in depth views of the markets and my strategy just visit our website https://www.peterdag.com/ where you can subscribe to The Peter Dag Portfolio. You can also call me at 1-800-833-2782 to discuss your specific investment portfolio.

Disclaimer.The content on this site is provided as general information only and should not be taken as investment advice nor is it a recommendation to buy or sell any financial instrument. Actions you undertake as a consequence of any analysis, opinion or advertisement on this site.

No comments: