2/1/11

Obervations

Recently I started playing tennis again. I stopped playing this great sport in the early eighties because I was burned out. I needed a change of pace. I had played tennis all my life and I just needed to get away from it.

During these years I learned how to sail and cruise – a thoroughly wonderful sport. Jogging every day for close to 5 miles kept me in shape and helped me unwind after a whole day in contact with the financial markets. Skiing and kayaking are also great sports and did not make me miss tennis. Until now.

Tennis is “my” sport. When I am on the court I understand where I am. I feel the space around me. I know where I should be, where I should go and why. My experience makes me analyze my opponents and figure out their strengths and weaknesses.

I lived in Rome, Italy, in the early part of my life. The climate is great all year long, so I could play tennis every day. I used to practice several hours a day in order to get ready for the tournaments. My best training was playing against a wall when the heat was most intense.

I could practice all my shots in slow motion, and I knew the wall would return all of them. I could almost close my eyes and know how to hit the next ball. First the forehand. Then the backhand, volley, and overhead. The wall was my great teacher because it had a way of telling me if my shots were right. It took a lot of work, dedication, and intensity. But eventually I became the strongest player in Italy in the amateur category. I was and felt unbeatable on the slow clay tennis courts.

It was a lot of work and a lot of fun, but eventually I won the Italian amateur championship. It lasted two weeks and I had to overcome 300 players. The final was a grueling 5 set match. I will never forget Michele Virno, the other finalist, and his tears when the match was over. He had won the first two sets. I won the last three.

Now you know why tennis is “my” game.

(This Observations was publishe in the issue of 1/21/01 of The Peter Dag Portfolio)

George Dagnino, PhD
Editor, The Peter Dag Portfolio. Since 1977
Ranked second best gold timer by Timer Digest

To find out more about my in depth views of the markets and my strategy just visit our website https://www.peterdag.com/ where you can subscribe to The Peter Dag Portfolio. You can also call me at 1-800-833-2782 to discuss your specific investment portfolio.

Disclaimer.The content on this site is provided as general information only and should not be taken as investment advice nor is it a recommendation to buy or sell any financial instrument. Actions you undertake as a consequence of any analysis, opinion or advertisement on this site.

No comments: