6/1/09

Observations

The wind is coming from the northwest close to 10 knots, enough to let you know that the sailing season cannot be too far. However, you still have to dress warm. It is a great day and I am sitting in the cockpit facing the sun. As I sip my coffee, I become conscious of what is around me. Definitely not like Akron or the rest of the world. This is my escape.

Another escape are the local bookstores such as Barnes & Noble where I keep abreast of the latest books. As I jot down some notes, I follow from behind my imaginary camera the interesting people walking by. Who are they? What do they do? My computer, meanwhile, connects me with the world and the financial events. It is a refreshing mix.

SNS and other friends go there too. We talk about many things, trying to solve the problems of the world. It is a stimulating environment, good for research and out of the box thinking. “All this will change. No more bookstores” SNS told me with gravity.

Too bad, because I really enjoy browsing through the new books. The other day a little book by Jim Rogers, “A Father’s lesson for life and investing” caught my attention. Many solid ideas and plenty of common sense such as do what you have a passion for and stay focused.

I was surprised when he recommended the study of philosophy. It teaches you how to think. Why? Ed and I finished reading all the major philosophers in the past several years. Even the “linguists”. These philosophers gave the framework to computer scientists to conceive computers and make artificial intelligence a reality. Mathematical linguistics is the base for “compilers”.

As I review the ideas of the major thinkers, I realize how we all benefited from their thinking because of the way they framed the problems of the times. This abstract thinking allowed us to mature and to understand our problems. This is an important way to identify issues and define their implications. Of course, Jim Rogers recognizes that this is the kind of thinking required by an investment strategist of his caliber.

To find out more about my in depth view of the markets and my strategy just visit our website https://www.peterdag.com/ where you can review The Peter Dag Portfolio. You can also call me at 1-800-833-2782 to discuss your specific money management needs.

I will be happy to speak to your investment group on how the business cycle impacts investment strategies and the choice of asset classes.

George Dagnino, PhD
Editor, since 1977

No comments: