5/2/09

Pain and the mind

I need to leave the office for a few days after publishing The Peter Dag Portfolio. At the end of the process, I find myself thinking “sailboat”, my ultimate escape.

Even in winter, if there is no snow on the road, I go to Annapolis, MD. The excuse is that the boat batteries need to be charged. In February, the boat needed some repair. The kill switch of the engine was not working. The mechanic, to access the engine, took off the second to the last step going down to the cabin.

When I went down the stairs I did not see the open step because it was way down. My left foot found support on the engine, blocking my leg. I freed my right leg and fell pivoting 90 degrees on the left knee.

As I fell, I held on to the sink, which was at least 2 feet below me. I succeeded in freeing the left leg. I never endured such excruciating pain in my life.

Back in Akron, I found out that my strong legs saved me. I damaged the left knee and the doctor recommended physical therapy. The PT exercises focused on building the muscles of the leg and improving the flexibility of the knee. A lot of stretching, weight lifting, ultra-sound and electrical currents through the damaged part of the knee.

After 3 weeks I felt I needed a break. I sensed my body was not accepting the approach. The reason is that I am accustomed to a different way of looking at pain. We think that building a healthy body is synonymous with how much muscle we have around the bones.

I like to think, as the Taoists do, that health reflects the energy balance in your body. Your mind controls this balance as slow movements maintain the flexibility of the body. Doctors recommend meditation when in pain. Why? It is the subconscious way to let your mind regain control of what is wrong in your body. The healing of my knee is a challenge and gives me an escape. Pain is a positive concept if you let your mind penetrate, explore, and understand your body. Peacefully. In tranquility.

To find out more about my in depth view of the markets and my strategy just visit our website https://www.peterdag.com/ where you can review The Peter Dag Portfolio. You can also call me at 1-800-833-2782 to discuss your specific money management needs.

I will be happy to speak to your investment group on how the business cycle impacts investment strategies and the choice of asset classes.

George Dagnino, PhD
Editor, since 1977

No comments: