8/19/08

Behind a camera

Isi and I studied at the University of Rome. We were good friends and we enjoyed watching movies by famous directors such as Fellini, Pasolini, Bergman, De Sica, or Visconti. Legendary directors.

We had our special place where we saw Rome at night. We took the top of the car down and discussed the movie we just saw. At one point of our conversation we used to say: “Can you imagine if we were behind a camera and were filming us – right now”.

Next frame. Two years ago, I met Piero in Auckland, New Zealand, when I went there to visit my uncle. At 45 Piero sold his upscale and successful restaurants in London and retired. Since then he has spent his summer in Auckland and our summer in Ibiza, Spain.

In Ibiza he lives on a boat and his friends, like him, follow the sun. He keeps track of them with Skype and a webcam. His spirit and positive attitude are fascinating.

We kept in touch for two years and two weeks ago, having a few days off, I decided to go and visit him in Ibiza. What a fascinating world! A simple and relaxing life but full of color and excitement. Gorgeous homes overlooking a breathtaking coast (see picture).

His friends accepted me and made me part of their life. We met at 11:30 at the “office”, a local cafĂ© at the edge of the marina. People were coming and going. The language switched depending on their nationality. A coffee. An orange juice. A beer. At 2:00 pm it was time for lunch. Siesta at 3:00 pm. Dinner at 9:30.
One of the group was a retired airline captain who flew with my father in Bangkok. Incredible! Our eyes were shining when we realized the connection and hugged.

Things were happening fast. I felt like in a whirlwind. I began to understand their attitude. Their approach to life. Suddenly I saw myself behind the camera filming their lifestyle and complete nonchalance. I realized we should go more often behind the camera and see if we still like what we see. Thank you Piero and Fabio and Ivano!

George Dagnino, PhD
Editor, The Peter Dag Portfolio
Since 1977
https://www.peterdag.com/.

No comments: