7/2/12

Observations

A dry Martini. Up. 3 olives. Chilled, but not shaken excessively with ice. It would dilute the flavor of the gin. SNS had a Chivas. On the rocks. This is how we started our three hour dinner featuring excellent steaks (I like them very rare) and a full-bodied read wine. We looked at each other, glad to be there.

He started to tell me about his week. What he achieved and the status of his several projects. He likes to buy low and sell high. He has done that many times in his life.

As we move toward the end of the dinner, our conversation becomes more abstract. This is when we let the ideas flow. It is very soothing and is the main reason we cherish our friendship. When we “click”, as he says.

He is always interested when I keep repeating that I am trying to understand history – not an easy task. I am approaching it from a different viewpoint.

I studied and still practice Qigong. Then I read about Zen, Buddhism, Confucianism, and finally Taoism. Enough to understand what drives the life of the Asian people. More on this in the future.

Western philosophy is attractive because you have to place it in a historical context. The history of ideas, the history of thinking. This is what fascinates me. We think the way we do because throughout the millennia there were people who tried to understand the times. They placed events in historical perspective and suggested new ways of approaching life and solving the problems of the day.

As I read and underline the relevant sections, I am also finding that history has some ugly patterns. Events I knew happened, but I was not aware of their causes because of my upbringing.

I make notes. I am already thinking to write my history of ideas (not philosophy), emphasizing the historical framework of when they were born. SNS listens carefully during the excited account of my findings. The next time it will be another stimulating exchange of ideas. Just trying to understand who we are and where we are going.

(This Observations appeared in the 6/21/04 issue of The Peter Dag Portfolio)

No comments: