7/19/13

Observations

In the last issue I wrote about balance, the Aristotelian Golden Mean. From the e-mails I received I realize now I wrote an un-balanced Observations.

No, I am not planning to retire. I am still too young at heart and I have too much passion for my work to even consider such an option.

I started playing tennis when I was a teenager. I liked the sport and the attention I was getting as I was becoming stronger. Being balanced was not my concern.

Our tennis club was inside ancient Roman walls (they are hollow to allow the Roman soldiers to move to different places). The locker rooms were inside and the tennis courts were close to the walls. The reason is that the building code in Rome forbids buildings to be erected within 200 yards of them.

I spent my days at the club basking in the sun and playing tennis. My grades, as you may suspect, were hurting. At the Italian amateur championship (lasting two weeks with 300 players participating from all over the country) I was ranked number one. And I won.

I could not stop playing tennis. It was so much fun. One day, however, a charming, unbelievably beautiful young lady came to the club to ask for information on how to become a member. I jumped from my leisurely position and ran to answer her questions. I was not alone. Several friends tried to be helpful too.

Then she left. After 20 minutes I told myself I could not lose her. I jumped on my scooter and after canvassing the many streets she could have taken, I saw her. I asked her if she wanted a lift. She did.

We started dating. I became more dedicated to my difficult studies, the most challenging degree at the University of Rome with a 40% success rate. She helped me. She encouraged me. She was there for me and supported my efforts. Tennis ceased to be a priority.

Finally my academic results improved.

One day I received the invitation to do research in a US university. It was my chance to see a new world and its people. After a few months she joined me, and Kathi and I got married. She gave balance to my life.

(This Observations appeared in the 9-11-2006 issue of The Peter Dag Portfolio ).

George Dagnino, PhD Editor,
The Peter Dag Portfolio.
Since 1977
2009 Market Timer of the Year by Timer Digest
Portfolio manager

Disclaimer.The content on this site is provided as general information only and should not be taken as investment advice nor is it a recommendation to buy or sell any financial instrument. Actions you undertake as a consequence of any analysis, opinion or advertisement on this site are your sole responsibility.

STRATEGIC INVESTING FOR UNCERTAIN TIMES.
Learn how to manage your portfolio risk and sleep comfortably. Improve the certainty of returns by taking advantage of business cycle trends. Learn to use simple hedging strategies to minimize the volatility of your portfolio and protect it from downside losses.
You will receive your user id to access 4 FREE issues – and all the previous ones - of The Peter Dag Portfolio. Email your request to info@peterdag.com. New subscribers, please.

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER @GEORGEDAGNINO FOR MY LATEST VIEWS.

No comments: