4/25/12

Observations

One of the topics I discuss with my friend SNS at lunch is the need to add new interests to our life. We become bored with what we are doing because our experience is protecting us from making major errors. There is no challenge.

In 1977 I created Peter Dag. This experience opened up new worlds for me. It placed me in front of other people. In 1989 Hulbert ranked me No. 1. I was pleased, but I felt I could improve. Teaching in college and writing a book gave me new challenges.

My second book on sector investing and business cycles is under way. Several friends are helping and encouraging me in this endeavor. Chapter 3 is finished. The edited chapters will be posted soon on our website.

In 1981 I learned to sail. A challenging and exciting sport. I chartered for 22 years in Cape Cod, Newport, the Chesapeake Bay, Florida, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean islands. Different winds and different seas. I learned to plan and to respect nature. As in investing, one has to prepare a passage under the most conservative assumptions.

But it was time to move on. I had to have my own sailboat. Since April I have been searching it with the help of a wonderful broker, Bill. Very patiently we looked at the many choices available on the Internet.

Bill was always ready to give me his opinion on how I should proceed. Finally we found a sailboat in Hilton Head, a Sabre 38. It is perfect. Maybe too perfect. Now she is mine. Her name: PeterDag.com. What else.

My mind is now challenged by new issues. I have to learn how to maintain the many systems I know little or nothing about: electrolysis, sea cocks, impellers, strainers, changing oil, checking filters of various types and purposes, and much more. My brain is rejuvenated. I added a new interest to my life, as other tasks become less demanding because of many years of practice. (This Observations appeared in the 9/08/03 issue of The Peter Dag Portfolio).

George Dagnino, PhD Editor,
The Peter Dag Portfolio.
Since 1977
2009 Market Timer of the Year by Timer Digest
Portfolio manager

More details? Take advantage of a 2-MONTH FREE SUBCRIPTION to The Peter Dag Portfolio - 8 issues. Just send us an email to info@peterdag.com with your name requesting your free subscription. You will receive by email your user id and password to access our service at www.peterdag.com. NEW SUBSCRIBERS PLEASE.

Disclaimer.The content on this site is provided as general information only and should not be taken as investment advice nor is it a recommendation to buy or sell any financial instrument. Actions you undertake as a consequence of any analysis, opinion or advertisement on this site are your sole responsibility.

No comments: